I love sweet cherries. When the fresh, sweet cherries start to make an appearance in summer I always find something delicious to make with them (in addition to just snacking on them). This summer I went for frozen yogurt! I followed a recipe from Cookin’ Canuck, a healthy food blog that I love to follow (you just might want to check her stuff out too!).
Now, I know cherries aren’t everyone’s favorite. And truthfully, the only reason I know this is because my hubby isn’t the biggest fan. Before I married him, I couldn’t imagine anyone disliking sweet cherries. I still kind of think he’s tricking me and that he secretly loves them. Ha, ha! After all, he did like this frozen yogurt. I’m sure the coconut milk had something to do with it.
This recipe only has four easy ingredients. Cherries, light coconut milk, Greek yogurt, and honey. You mix it all together, throw it in your ice cream maker, and within no time you have fresh and creamy frozen yogurt. The blend of the cherries and coconut milk is AWESOME and I love that it’s sweetened with a little bit of honey.
I made this for a family function and cherry lovers and non-cherry lovers all ate their given portions. Hmmmmm…..A definite win! I must add that this version of frozen yogurt is extra yummy with Dark Chocolate Magic Shell drizzled over the top. I mean, cherries and chocolate are one of those pairs that were meant to go together. Just sayin’!
The hardest part . . . waiting the 25 minutes it took to “freeze” before we could eat it. Just ask these two cutie pies!
- 1 (14 oz) can light coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup + 3 tbsp honey
- 3/4 lb. fresh cherries, pitted
- In a large bowl or measuring pitcher (for easy pouring), whisk together the coconut milk, Greek yogurt and honey. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Place 3/4 of the pitted cherries in a blender or food processor and blend until almost smooth. Stir the pureed mixture into the yogurt mixture.
- Pour the yogurt mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Chop the remaining cherries. When the frozen yogurt is almost finished processing, add the chopped cherries to the mixture and finish processing.
- Serve immediately or place in the freezer in an airtight container. If you freeze the mixture, warm it at room temperature for about 1 hour before serving.
- 126.3 Calories | 5g Protein | 19.9g Carbs | 3.3g Fat (3.3g = Sat.) | 0.3g Fiber | 10g Sugars