It’s officially Autumn so why not throw a pumpkin recipe your way? Even better, a pumpkin cookie recipe with chocolate! And, even better than that . . . a pumpkin/chocolate recipe cookie that only takes three ingredients and is ONLY 70 calories per cookie (remove the chocolate chips and you’ve got yourself a pumpkin cookie for ONLY 42 calories!). Yah . . . pretty awesome wouldn’t you say?
I’m not really sure where I got this recipe. I’ve seen it circle around Pinterest lately, but I’ve been making it for years. It seems like my hair dresser told me about it years ago, but I can’t remember exactly. At any rate, I’m so glad it’s in my recipe files and it should be in yours too (in my humble opinion).
All you do is take a spice cake mix, mix in one can of pumpkin, and then fold in some chocolate chips. That’s right . . . no added oil, butter, or eggs! This makes for a low fat/low calorie cookie. Bake them up and you’ve got yourself some fluffy, distinctly flavored pumpkin cookies with melted chocolate found throughout. I think they are as good, if not better, than any Pumpkin Chocolate Chip cookie you can buy in a bakery. And, that’s kind of a big deal considering that similar cookies found in the bakeries can total anywhere from 175 to 300 calories per cookie! Oh dear!
So, if you’re needing a little Autumn treat that won’t break the calorie bank, these are the ticket! They’re easy to make, super delicious, and much lower in fat and calories than the traditional cookie. Nobody will ever know they aren’t the “real” thing either. I’ve taken these to parties, pot-lucks, given them to friends, etc. They are LOVED by ALL. And, don’t be afraid to let your toddler help you mix, bake, and eat these cookies. Mine loved the fun in making them and she DEFINITELY loved the fun in eating them. Happy Autumn!
- 1 spice cake mix (I used Betty Crocker)
- 1 (15-0z.) can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare cookie sheet by lining with parchment paper or silpat liners (you can also spray the bare cookie sheet with cooking spray).
- Put cake mix in medium sized mixing bowl. Add pumpkin puree to cake mix and stir until well combined (I do this with a hand mixer on a low speed, but you can use a spoon or other mixer too). Fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop by 1 1/2 tablespoons onto prepared cookie sheet (I use a cookie scoop that totals 1 1/2 tablespoons). Leave about an inch between dropped cookies (I usually fit 12 on a cookie sheet).
- Bake in preheated oven for 14-17 minutes, or until lightly brown on bottom (mine were perfect at 15 minutes).
- Remove cookies to cooling rack to cool completely.
- 70 Calories | 0.6g Protein | 13.1g Carbs | 2g fat (1.3g = Sat.) | 0.3g Fiber | 7.9g Sugars
- 42 Calories | 0.6g Protein | 9.5g Carbs | 0.4g fat (0.3g = Sat.) | 0.3g Fiber | 4.7g Sugars