Here’s a sweet, little indulgence you may want to add to your recipe box. It’s made with dark chocolate chips (and we’ve all heard how healthy dark chocolate is, right!?) and coconut oil. That’s it. It’s dangerously easy to make and it adds just a little special touch to your frozen treats (you know . . . frozen yogurt or frozen fruit).
When my parents bought Magic Shell when I was a kid, I thought it was the cat’s meow! I was so fascinated with how it would harden up when poured over my ice cream. I loved the stuff. This homemade version does EXACTLY that, but it tastes WAY better. I also love that I was able to make it with dark chocolate.
Stay tuned . . . I have a couple “healthy” summer treats headed your way where I’ll put this Homemade Dark Chocolate Magic Shell to good use.
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (mine were 63% cacao - brand was E Guittard)
- 2 tablespoons virgin organic coconut oil
- Stir together chocolate chips and coconut oil in a large microwave-safe bowl. Place in microwave and cook on high for 30 seconds. Remove and stir. Continue microwaving and stirring in 15 second intervals until all of the chocolate is melted. Remove and let sit until the chocolate reaches room temperature.
- Serve with ice cream or fruit. Can be covered and stored at room temperature (not in a refrigerator) for up to 1 month.
- 123 Calories | 0g Protein | 13g Carbs | 9g Fat (6.6g = Sat.) | 1.5g Fiber | 10.2g Sugar