With it being summer and having all this lovely fruit in season, fruit salads are all the craze! I absolutely love eating fresh fruit in the summer and find that it makes a delicious, light, and beautiful side dish to almost any meal. That being said, this has become my most favorite way to serve it as of late!
This fruit salad is oh-so-simple, takes very little time, and seriously takes that fresh fruit up a gazillion notches to SUPER awesome! I’ve been toting this fruit salad to family and friend BBQ’s all summer long and every. single. time. I am asked how to make it because everyone is drooling over every bite.
I’ve found that the fruit options are endless. I typically make it with whatever fruit I have on hand or with whatever fruit I am in the mood for. Being summer . . . there is usually melon and strawberries in it for sure. Then, I add others. You can change things up to your liking.
One little note that I must mention is that you should not “dress” this salad until it is time to eat it. It only lasts a couple of hours before going “mushy” and gets all juicy. (I mean, the mushy and juicy fruit is still to-die-for, but you know . . . not the most optimal to serve.)
All I’m saying is that if you want to be praised for your little-to-no-effort salad, this is it folks! Make it for your next BBQ. Or, if you don’t have a BBQ, make it for yourself. You’ll be in heaven! And, keep it in mind for the fall/winter months too because it’s even delicious with canned fruit. No kidding!
- 3 cups watermelon, cubed
- 2 cups strawberries, quarters
- 1 cup grapes, halved (red or green)
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained well
- 1 banana sliced
- zest from one lime
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Combine the fruit in a medium-large serving bowl. Add the lime zest and gently toss.
- Drizzle the honey over the fruit and again, gently mix until the fruit is evenly coated with the honey. Serve.
- 43.3 Calories | 0.4g Protein | 11g Carbs | 0.1g (0g = Sat.) Fat | 0.9g Fiber | 8.8g Sugars