I’ve been on the search for a good flatbread recipe that uses 100% whole wheat flour. I found a keeper, you guys! I found a keeper! This flatbread is SO similar to the homemade bread I make, that I figured it would turn out delicious. The lovely thing about these is that they are incredibly soft and chewy (without any reference of imitating cardboard) and they have a hint of sweetness thanks to that honey. These are WAY easy to make and take VERY little time. Seriously. You’ll be amazed of the simplicity of making your very own flatbread. Besides that, it tastes WAY better than what you’ll ever buy at the store.
Oh, the things you can do with flatbread! Think pizza, wraps, gyros, pita chips, etc. I’ll be sharing some fun and healthy things to do with these wraps in some upcoming posts. Stay tuned!
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups whole what flour (plus or minus 1/4 cup depending on heat and humidity)
- Mix yeast with warm water and honey. Let sit for five minutes. In the meantime whisk flour, gluten, and salt together.
- When yeast is ready, stir in the olive oil first and then the flour mixture until well combined (I did this in my mixer and then removed it to do the kneading). Knead dough twenty times. It should be soft but not sticky. Add more flour while kneading as needed. Let dough rest for 20 minutes.
- Divid dough into eight equal portions. Shape each piece into a ball and then roll into an oval, circle, or rectangle on a greased surface (I just spray my countertop lightly with cooking spray). The dough should be thin. Heat a pancake griddle to 350 degrees. When grill is heated, place two-three flatbreads on it. Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. They will bubble up slightly. Remove to a plate and repeat with remaining pieces of dough.
- Serves 8 (but can easily be made to serve 10, with the rounds being slightly smaller).
- 163 Calories | 6.7g Protein | 27.2g Carbs | 4.2g Fat | 4.1g Fiber | 2.2g Sugars