Anybody out there looking for a good, inspirational story? Pamela Hansen tells of her weight loss journey in a book entitled, “Running with Angels” where she turned personal tragedy into triumph over obesity. I’m not sure where I’ve been over the last few years, but my friend Michal turned me on to Pam’s story and I knew I had to read it.
You know what I loved most about Pam’s story? She is just like SO many of us. She’s a normal woman who faced personal tragedy (who hasn’t?) and, despite all the tough hurdles to overcome, she did it. . . which is what makes her extraordinary! Her story is so candid and I know that many of you can find ways to relate and understand specific parts and ideas expressed throughout Pam’s journey. I certainly did! Among many points covered in her story she mentions:
- The importance of staying focused and continually moving forward.
- We should never give up. . . even when we make mistakes.
- Change takes time and patience.
- It is okay to ask for help.
- We must take responsibility for our own actions.
- A good amount of time and energy is wasted by wondering if people are judging us unfairly.
- It is crucial and important to make time for ourselves.
- Change on the outside has to start with change on the inside.
- Setting goals is crucial.
- Tips on how to stay on track, motivate, and encourage us to keep going.
- And much more!
To top it all off, she now sponsors one 5k run/walk per year where the proceeds go to the “Angel Watch” program, a part of Women’s Services at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center. The 2011 run/walk was held last Saturday (May 21) and I ran it with one of my sisters. It was a beautiful run through the gardens at Thanksgiving Point and I loved the idea of running for a cause.
I’m been lucky enough to have a few email exchanges with Pam this week and she is so delightful. While we haven’t personally met, I feel such a strong connection with her just by reading her story, participating in her 5k event, and then having a small amount of communication with her. You can find out more about Pam by viewing her website. You can also find out more about the annual 5k event here. If you’re looking for motivation and inspiration that you can AND WILL relate to, “Running with Angels” is a must read!